Friday, February 15, 2013

Take another little piece of my peanut butter-graham cracker-chocolate-covered heart now baby ...

Us single gals got together this year for Valentine's Day and I manned the dinner ship for the evening.
I brought leftover hummus and carrots for the appetizer, vegan deep dish pizza was on the menu as the entree and I wanted to throw in something extra for all the single ladies.

A few grahams got a sprinkling of sea salt over their chocolate coating!
I immediately decided that it was the perfect time to try out this irresistible-sounding recipe from Attune Foods for Peanut Butter Cup Grahams. Who doesn't love chocolate-covered anything? If you don't like it, then you haven't tried these crispy graham crackers slathered with a generous layer of peanut butter and then dipped in semi sweet chocolate!

The recipe also has a nut-free version of the recipe and you can try dark chocolate instead of semi sweet. Alisa sprinkled sea salt over the chocolate too. I added almonds to some of my peanut butter grahams as well as the sea salt. I'm thinking that some coconut flakes or a quick dusting of cocoa powder, or even dried sweet cherries could be added the next time (because there will be a next time!) I made these treats. I think it would also be dreamy and delicious to coat the graham crackers with Justin's Maple Almond Butter.


A generous teaspoon of coconut oil is mixed in with the chocolate before it's melted, resulting in a nice, smooth and almost velvety coating around the peanut butter-covered graham cracker. A small amount of powdered sugar is mixed in with the peanut butter and creates a nice thickness for each graham cracker. I needed to find a way to use the extra graham crackers that were leftover from my Inside Out S'mores Brownie Bar that I made last Saturday. The cinnamon flavored graham crackers worked well to add in another flavor to the recipe. Additionally, this recipe came together quickly. I made them within a matter of 30 minutes on Tuesday evening and I stored the peanut butter grahams in the fridge until Thursday night in a sealed container lined with parchment paper.

A closer look at the thick peanut butter coating

But after making 13 grahams because I had to do a taste test before serving them to my friends, there was some leftover chocolate that I needed to use. The strawberries in my fridge came to the rescue. Simple dip each strawberry in chocolate and place them on a parchment lined baking sheet or plate and then stick them in the fridge to set up.

My solution to using up the extra melted chocolate - chocolate-covered strawberries.
So, last night four single gals enjoyed watching the remake of the "A Team," dined on good, vegan food and had our fair share of chocolate.

I paired my peanut butter grahams and chocolate-covered strawberry with a glass of Shiraz-Cabernet. The deep fruit flavors of the red wine paired well with the dessert and the pizza.



Happy chocolate-covered holidays. As another Valentine's Day has come and gone, remember to let those special people in your life know how special they are and just how much you love them as often as possible! I would also suggest listening to Janis Joplin every and any day of the year.

Dodger and Willa were my other Valentines this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment